This week, Brammo announced their 2014 model year Empulse and Empulse R, so I was curious about what changed.
Not much has changed, and what did change isn’t enough to convince someone sitting on the fence. For the same price, you could purchase a Zero S or SR 11.4 with more range (albeit a slower top speed), and more accessories or support for CHAdeMO (DC fast charging).
- The MSRP has not changed, but the 10% federal tax credit expired at the end of 2013. In January 2014, Brammo offered a temporary $2,000 discount for the 2013 Empulse and Empulse R, and $1,000 discount for the 2013 Enertia, but now that it’s February, that’s gone, too, so if you waited to see what 2014 would bring, it is a bike that is 10% more expensive for no gain in performance (YMMV).
- The top speed has increased by merely 5 mph (but the Zero S’s didn’t change).
- The city range has increased by merely 7 miles (but the Zero S’s didn’t change).
- The highway range has increased only 2 miles. No rider’s going to notice, though. (However, the Zero S now offers a “Power Tank”—an extra battery that offers 34 more miles / 54 km and fills up the storage space where a gasoline bike’s gas tank would be.)
- Torque and regenerative braking are now adjustable.
- The bike weighs 10 pounds less, but someone forgot to update the kilogram measurement on the web site.
- The tires are now by Continental instead of by AVON.
- The available colors are different:
- Removed: white
- Added: silver and two kinds of yellow (or one kind of yellow and a typo)
|2013 Empulse R||2014 Empulse R|
|Motor Controller||Sevcon Gen 4||Sevcon Gen 4, Size 6 (650A peak)||Sevcon Gen 4||Sevcon Gen 4, Size 6 (650A peak)|
|Speed||105 mph (169 kph)||110 mph (177 kph)
Driving Modes – handlebar selectable:
|same as 2013||same as 2014|
|Range: City (19 mph / 30 kph average)||121 mi (195 km)||128 mi (206 km)||same as 2013||same as 2014|
|Range: Highway (70 mph sustained)||56 mi (90 km)||58 mi (93 km)||same as 2013||same as 2014|
|Weight||470 lb / 213 kg||460 lb / 209 kg||same as 2013||same as 2014|
|Colors||Red, black, white||Red, black, Tour de France yellow, yellow, metallic||same as 2013||same as 2014|
|Tires (front/back)||120/70-17 AVON AV79 / 180/55-17 AVON AV80||Continental 120-70 ZR17, 58W / 180-55 ZR17, 73W||same as 2013||same as 2014|